• (603) 673-3904
  • Reservations are recommended
  •  
  • 52 Federal Hill Road / Milford, NH 03055
  • Serving Dinner: Weds - Sat 5:00pm - 9:00pm
  • Sunday 1:00pm - 7:00pm

The restaurant is housed in the barn of the Mile Away Farm with antique wood paneling and grand working fireplaces.

more

The Mile Away Restaurant was originally a farm built in 1746.

more

History

The Story of the Mile Away Farm…

The house attached to the restaurant at The Mile Away was built in 1746 and was orginally one of the settlements of the early town of Monson, NH. It is located a “mile away” from the old town center. The town of Monson chartered in 1746, lasted only 24 years due to infertile land and the inability to build a meeting house. In 1770, Monson’s charter was surrendered and the land was divided between Amherst and Hollis and later, Milford. Monson Rock, which marks the spot where the meeting house was to be built, still sits in the woods on Federal Hill, one mile south of the restaurant.

The house at the Mile Away retains many of its original features. It is a small center chimney cape with a gambrel roof. The chimney inside is 28 feet around. There are fireplaces on three sides. One hearth is a huge slab of native granite. The house sits on large granite blocks possibly quarried from the small quarry on the property. The restaurant is housed in the barn of the Mile Away Farm. It was built in 1812. In the 1940’s the Boutwell family converted the barn into a guest house and caretaker’s quarters.

In 1967 two gentlemen from Switzerland, Ernst Kehl and Joseph Zund bought the farm and converted it into the Mile Away Restaurant. They developed its Swiss Continental cuisine. Kevin and Sandra Murphy purchased the restaurant in 1996 to continue its traditions. In 2008, they sold the restaurant to their son, Joshua Murphy and his family. The Murphy’s continue to provide the qualities people have come to know and expect from the Mile Away Restaurant: Good Food, Good Service, and a Charming Atmosphere.